- Frozen Shoulder: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/frozen-shoulder/basics/definition/con20022510
- Clinical Practice Guideline, American Physical Therapy Association: https://www.orthopt.org/uploads/content_files/ICF/Updated_Guidelines/Shoulder_Gui
- Home Safety: Center for Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/steadi/patient.html
- Medicare.gov: https://www.medicare.gov/
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement – SBAR: http://www.ihi.org/resources/Pages/Tools/SBARToolkit.aspx
There are several internet websites where you can learn more about pain:
- International Association for the Study of Pain: http://www.iasp-pain.org/
- American Pain Society: http://americanpainsociety.org/
- American Academy of Pain Management: http://www.aapainmanage.org/
- American Academy of Pain Medicine: http://www.painmed.org/
- American Chronic Pain Association: https://theacpa.org/
- National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association: http://www.fmcpaware.org/
- Butler, D. G. a. M., Lorimar. (2013). Explain Pain (2nd Edition ed.): NOI Group. Pain, U. Understanding Pain. Retrieved from https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Pain+in+5+Minutes+YouTube&Form=VQFRVP
Institute of Medicine
In 2011, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) released a report regarding pain as a public health problem in the United States. The IOM recommended relieving pain become a national priority . IOM Link: http://www.nationalacademies.org/hmd/Reports/2011/Relieving-Pain-in-America-ABlueprint-for-Transforming-Prevention-Care-Education-Research.aspx
National Pain Strategy
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, in 2016, outlined the nation’s first coordinated plan for reducing chronic pain The National Pain Strategy (NPS). It was developed by a diverse team of experts from around the nation, the National Pain Strategy is a roadmap toward achieving a system of care in which all people receive appropriate, high quality and evidence-based care for pain . NPS Link: https://iprcc.nih.gov/National_Pain_Strategy/NPS_Main.htm
CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids
In 2016, the Center for Disease Control released the guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain . Article Link: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2503508
Iowa Pain Thermometer Revised (IPT-R)
Circle a number on the Pain Thermometer below that best represents the intensity of your pain right now.
Used with permission Keela Herr, PhD, RN, AGSF, FAAN, College of Nursing, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Appendix B: Pain, Enjoyment and General Activity (PEG)
- Herr, K.A. and L. Garand, Assessment and measurement of pain in older adults. Clin Geriatr Med, 2001. 17(3): p. 457-78, vi.
- Krebs, E.E., et al., Development and initial validation of the PEG, a three-item scale assessing pain intensity and interference. J Gen Intern Med, 2009. 24(6): p. 733-8.
- Fishman SM, Young HM, Lucas Arwood E, Chou R, Herr K, Murinson BB, WattWatson J, Carr DB, Gordon DB, Stevens BJ et al: Core competencies for pain management: results of an interprofessional consensus summit. Pain Med 2013, 14(7):971-981.
- Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice: Report of An Expert Panel. [http://www.aacn.nche.edu/education-resources/ipecreport.pdf]
- Kelley MJ, Shaffer MA, Kuhn JE, Michener LA, Seitz AL, Uhl TL, Godges JJ, McClure PW: Shoulder pain and mobility deficits: adhesive capsulitis. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2013, 43(5):A1-31.
- Cadogan A, Mohammed KD: Shoulder pain in primary care: frozen shoulder. Journal of primary health care 2016, 8(1):44-51.
- Dias R, Cutts S, Massoud S: Frozen shoulder. BMJ (Clinical research ed) 2005, 331(7530):1453-1456.
- Hanchard NC, Goodchild L, Thompson J, O'Brien T, Davison D, Richardson C: Evidence-based clinical guidelines for the diagnosis, assessment and physiotherapy management of contracted (frozen) shoulder: quick reference summary. Physiotherapy 2012, 98(2):117-120.
- Dowell D, Haegerich TM, Chou R: CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain--United States, 2016. Jama 2016, 315(15):1624-1645.
- Burner T, Abbott D, Huber K, Stout M, Fleming R, Wessel B, Massey E, Rosenthal A, Burns E: Shoulder symptoms and function in geriatric patients. J Geriatr Phys Ther 2014, 37(4):154-158.
- Ewald A: Adhesive capsulitis: a review. American family physician 2011, 83(4):417-422.
- Lentz TA, Barabas JA, Day T, Bishop MD, George SZ: The relationship of pain intensity, physical impairment, and pain-related fear to function in patients with shoulder pathology. JOrthopSports PhysTher 2009, 39(4):270.
- American Geriatrics Society 2015 Updated Beers Criteria for Potentially Inappropriate Medication Use in Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc 2015, 63(11):2227-2246.
- Homebound Status Guideline [https://www.medicare.gov/]
- Harkey J, Young J, Carter JJ, Demoratz M: Supporting the Support System: How Assessment and Communication Can Help Patients and Their Support Systems. Professional case management 2017, 22(4):174-180.
- SBAR Tool Kit [http://www.ihi.org/resources/Pages/Tools/SBARToolkit.aspx]
- Narayan MCp: Using SBAR communications in efforts to prevent patient rehospitalizations.\par. Home healthcare nurse\par 2013, 31\par(9\par):504-515; quiz 515-507\par.
- Margolis AR, Martin BA, Mott DA: Trained student pharmacists' telephonic collection of patient medication information: Evaluation of a structured interview tool. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association : JAPhA 2016, 56(2):153-160.
- Rawat P, Eapen C, Seema KP: Effect of rotator cuff strengthening as an adjunct to standard care in subjects with adhesive capsulitis: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of hand therapy : official journal of the American Society of Hand Therapists 2017, 30(3):235-241.e238.
- (IOM) IoM: Relieving Pain in America: A Blueprint for Transforming Prevention, Care, Education and Research. In. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2011.
- Interagency Pain Research Coordinating Committee NPSI: National PainStrategy. In. Washington, DC; 2016.