At the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Create a pain management plan utilizing non-pharmacological strategies for an older Hispanic female with acute neck pain (exercise, physical therapy, self-care strategies).
- Identify risk factors of chronic pain and techniques for prevention of chronic pain.
- Describe attitudes and misbeliefs regarding cultural and language barriers in acute pain assessment and management for an older Hispanic female with acute neck pain.
The goal of this course is to provide an interactive learning experience about a 69-year-old Hispanic woman with acute neck pain that began two weeks ago.
The intended audience for this course is pre-licensure students for the professions of physician, physician assistant, nursing, nurse practitioner, occupational therapy and physical therapy.
Other healthcare pre-licensure students may benefit from the module.
The length for this course is approximately 60 minutes depending on the individual user. Upon completion of the course, you will get a certificate of completion.
This case incorporates the Core Competencies for Pain Management and Interprofessional Communications Competencies.
Pain Management Domains and Competencies
This module will cover three domains of the Pain Management Competencies, domain 2, 3, and 4.
- Domain Two: Pain assessment and measurement:
- Use valid and reliable tools for measuring pain and associated symptoms to assess and reassess related outcomes as appropriate for the clinical context and population.
- Domain Three: Management of pain
- Identify pain treatment options that can be accessed in a comprehensive pain management plan
- Domain Four: Clinical conditions: How does context influence pain management?
- Describe the unique pain assessment and management needs of special populations.
Primary Investigator (PI)
- Keela Herr, PhD, RN, AGSF, FGSA, FAAN
Co-Primary Investigator (Co-PI)
- Kathleen Sluka, PT, PhD
- Eiko Oka, MPH
Case Developers Team
- Dana Dailey, PhD, PT (Lead)
- Barbara St. Marie, PhD, ANP, GNP
- Sara Sanders, PhD, MSW
- John Swegle, PharmD
- Margo Schilling, MD
- Angela Chaparro-Arias, LMSW (Consultant)
Instructional Design Team
- Nor Hashidah Abd Hamid, PhD (Instructional Designer)
- Laurie Walkner, MA, BSN (Instructional Design Coordinator)
- Melissa Richlen, BA (Media Specialist)
- Therese Guedon - Mrs. Sanchez
- Angela Chaparro-Arias - Mrs. Sanchez’s Caregiver
- Kelly Fink - Medical Interpreter
- Nicola Jane Stickney - Primary Care Provider
- Carol Vance - Physical Therapist
- Dana Dailey, PT, PhD
- Melissa Richlen, BA
- Roger Hileman, MA
Reviewers (University of Iowa)
- Anthony Brenneman, MPAS
- Carrie Bernat, MA, MSW
- Jolie O’Conner, SPT
A special thanks to Hannah M Shultz for providing her effort on revising and completing the Spanish script.