Mrs. Smith is preparing for discharge. She successfully passed a barium swallow study which allows her to advance her diet to full liquids and resume oral medications. She will continue to supplement her nutritional intake with cycled tube feedings. Her home pain management plan is as follows:
- Oxycodone – acetaminophen (5 mg – 325 mg tablet)
- 2 tablets every 4 to 6 hours as needed for severe pain (7-10)
- Discontinue scheduled acetaminophen doses
- Explain acetaminophen dose in Percocet
- Gabapentin 300 mg tablet every 8 hours
- Schedule outpatient lab to monitor renal function
- Ibuprofen 600 mg tablet
- 1 tablet every 6 hours as needed for pain
Integrated Team-Based Pain Therapy
Proper pain care is everyone’s responsibility.
Pain Management Strategies
- Multimodal therapy may improve quality of pain control and lower the risk of harm, but it makes treatment (and monitoring) more complex
- Care must be taken in the selection of medications and route of administration
Interprofessional collaboration with multimodal pain therapy leads to the best outcomes.