- Describe the mechanism of opiate analgesia within the central nervous system (CNS).
- Compare and contrast normal from abnormal sleep patterns for someone in pain.
- Incorporate holistic geriatric and cultural considerations into pain management.
- Describe roles of the interprofessional team in pain management.
- Medical students: 2nd year
- Nursing students: Junior/sSenior year (undergraduate); 1st year (advanced practice)
- Pharmacy students: 3rd year
The focus of this case is to provide a learning scenario for interprofessional healthcare students. Acute and chronic pain management with an emphasis on safe and effective opioid analgesia in an elderly Spanish-speaking female patient with a history of substance abuse and chronic obstructive lung disease (COPD) form the foundation of the case. Links to additional interactive, online and written resources are provided (in development).