Was There Any Difference Between Your Surgical Expectation and Reality?
Courtney's mom explains her expectations surrounding Courtney's surgery compared to what happened in real life.
What Was Helpful for Courtney’s Muscle Spasms?
Courtney's mom explains what was helpful for Courtney's muscle spasms.
What Were You Told About Opioids?
Courtney's mom talks about the knowledge given to her about opioids.
Were You Told About Potential Addiction with Opioids?
Courtney's mom talks about information given to her about potential addiction with opioids.
Risk of Subsequent Opioid Abuse
- Legitimate opioid use (prescribed by health care provider for pain) prior to 12th grade increased risk of subsequent opioid abuse at age 19 - 23.
- Paradoxically the greatest increase in risk (3x) occurred in individuals with least drug experience who disapproved of illegal drug use.
- May be related to relaxation associated with opioid relief of pain – self medication for stress/pain.
- Experience of safe use of prescription opioid may reassure adolescents that further use of opioid will be safe.
Risk Assessment for Potential Opioid Abuse
- Many pediatric pain doctors who treat adolescents use the “CRAFFT” tool for screening for risk of developing addiction.
- Used to assess if a longer conversation about the use, frequency, and other risks and consequences of drug use is needed.
- Have you ever ridden in a CAR driven by someone (including yourself) who was "high" or had been using alcohol or drugs?
- Do you ever use alcohol or drugs to RELAX, feel better about yourself, or fit in?
- Do you ever use alcohol/drugs while you are by yourself, ALONE?
- Do you ever FORGET things you did while using alcohol or drugs?
- Do your family or friends ever tell you that you should cut down on your drinking or drug use?
- Have you gotten into TROUBLE while you were using alcohol or drugs?
Is There Any Oxycodone Left?
Courtney's mom answers whether they have any oxycodone left from Courtney's prescription.
What Helped to Support Courtney?
Courtney's mom explains what helped support Courtney.